The Tintern Village Website



The Tintern Village Produce Association

Return to VPA Menu


2003

MINUTES OF THE 29TH ANNUAL MEETING OF THE TINTERN VILLAGE PRODUCE ASSOCIATION,
HELD AT THE VILLAGE HALL, TINTERN,
ON FRIDAY THE 17th JANUARY 2003 AT 7.30PM

PRESENT : Mrs C Bradshaw- Chairman
Miss J Bartholomew - Secretary
Mr J Bathgate - Treasurer
Mrs J Bathgate - Minutes Secretary
Mr M Davey - Vice Chairman
Mrs Boast, Mr B Jones, Mrs J Dexter, Mr B Bradshaw, Mrs C Ostler, Mr and Mrs Simmons, Mrs D Parsons, Mr and Mrs Evans, Mrs Van de Veere, Mr and Mrs Spooner, Mrs J Davey

APOLOGIES :
Mrs J Sheldon, Mr A Parsons, Mr and Mrs Mitchely, Mr and Mrs Langdon, Mr and Mrs Hutchison, Mrs K Heron

The Chairman welcomed members to the 29th Annual General Meeting of the Tintern Village Produce Association.

1. Minutes of the last Annual General Meeting were agreed and signed. There were no matters arising.

2. The Chairman’s Report. Christine Bradshaw thanked all the Committee members for their work during the past year. Judy had put together a varied and interesting programme for the year. We also en- joyed visits to Home Farm and Parva Farm Vineyard. We took part in the Golden Jubilee parade and ran a plant stall. We made a total of £72.80 towards the Jubilee funds. We had a successful garden party in July at Christine and Bernard’s house. Show entries were a little lower this year but in the end we had a good Show with more visitors than usual. The successful Christmas Party was held at Jane Rhodes house as the Hall was not in use. Throughout the year work had gone on as the VPA continued to keep some areas of Tintern tidy and attractive.
The Chairman thanked members for their support over the year.

3. Secretary’s Report. The Harvest Festival at Llantilio Pertholey will be an annual event where we can meet other VPAs and support their chosen charities. Trellech Christmas Party was attended by six mem- bers and we again won the quiz. Judy thanked the members for making life as Secretary so pleasant and she looked forward to being just an Indian again. At this point tthe Chairman presented Judy with a Garden Centre Voucher in appreciation of the work Judy has done as Secretary since March 1987.

4. Treasurer’s Report. The year had gone from a balance of £92 to £42. The Show had been in profit by £11. The meeting agreed that the subscriptions should go up to £4 per person and Mr Bryan Jones proposed that the teas should go up to 25p, this was also agreed by the meeting.

5. Election of Officers.

(1) Secretary Judy Bartholomew resigned. No one stood for the post of Secretary. The work was distributed between the existing Committee members.

(a) General Secretary -John Bathgate to combine with work as Treasurer
(b) Show Secretary - Jean Bathgate to combine with work as Minutes Secretary
(c) Talks Secretary - Christine Bradshaw to combine with work as Chairman
(d) Outings Secretary - Martin Davey to combine with work as Vice Chairman

(2) Other Officers remained unchanged.

6 Programme The programme should be available for the February meeting. The Speaker will be Mr Steve Hunt and the topic will be "Gardens from seed".

(1) Garden Party, This will be held at Diane and Tony Parsons’ house. There will be a hanging basket or tub competition at the party.

(2) Annual Show, There was a suggestion that the Show be put back to September and this was debated. However there would be no Show Secretary available for a September date and other dates around the 16th August would clash with local shows. It was agreed to leave the Show date as the 16th August. Judy Bartholomew has been invited to open the Show. The Show Secretary will ask Mike Foster and Mrs Cook to be our Judges again. John and Jean Bathgate will again purchase geraniums for all members as Show entries. The Show Committee Meeting will be held on February 11th at 2.30pm at the Bathgate’s at 6 Parva Springs.

(3) Tea Rota and Competitions,
February Judy Bartholomew Marmalade
March Joan Dexter Spring Show
April Jean Bathgate Decorated Egg, Scones for men
September Jean Davey Photograph - fungus
October Carol Ostler/Diane Parsons Autumn foliage, Pumpkin
November Wendy Boast Design a Christmas Card
January 2003 Christine and Bernard Bradshaw

7 Any Other Business
(1) The competitions throughout the year had been won by Bernard Bradshaw. 13 Members had participated during the year.
(2) The death was announced of Fred Phillips, the President of the Trellech VPA.

The meeting closed at 8:10pm


In March Mr Mike Foster, from Gwehelog near Usk, showed us a video he had taken entitled "Foreign Gardens".
Over the years he has visited many different countries making a wonderful visual catalogue of his travels but concentrating on his main love, the Italianate garden. And here the moving camera was perfectly suited to wander through the cypress and lemon trees and between the stone balustrades, so the evening was thoroughly enjoyed by all.

April brought us a similar wander round the world by another superb photographer, Mr Colin Titcombe. This time the talk revolved round "Wildlife in Holy Places". Mr Titcombe kept us all enthralled and the members again enjoyed an excellent evening.

Our May outing took place on the sort of wet miserable day that left you uncertain as to whether or not the outing would even start. However eleven brave members turned up at the Speech House woodlands car park to meet our guide, Mr Peter Ralph. He gave us the choice of bluebells or sculptures and we chose the latter. We set off under grey skies to be shown around many of the items on the "Sculpture Trail". We did have some drizzle but mostly we remained dry. Our guide gave us an excellent walk and talks on the sculptures, trees and aspects of forest life. A very enjoyable evening rounded off for some with an excellent meal at the Butcher's Arms in Clearwell.


Our June outing took place on a beautiful sunny evening. Twenty-two of us went to see the garden of Mr Steve and Felicity Hunt at Barn Farm, Earlswood. This was a garden made from scratch over the last ten years or so. We wondered at the amount of work needed to keep this garden growing as both the owners worked and they had no assistance. We finished the evening on the lawn with tea, coffee, cakes and biscuits. By the way, the lawn was due to be converted into a Mediterranean garden over the next few weeks in time for a television team to make a programme about the garden.

On July 5th we had a plant stall at the Village Fete. We raised £120 towards the Christmas Lighting Fund. Thanks to those members that donated plants and time at the stall. Bernard and Christine Bradshaw's fuchsias made a particularly good show.

Later in the month we held our summer garden Party at Di and Tony Parsons' house in Park Glade. Although the day had been wet we had a warm dry evening in which to enjoy the garden and the spread. Our thanks to Di and Tony. At the party, Tony Parsons presented the Treasurer with a cheque for £100 from the Tintern Community Chest committee for the help that the VPA had given in raising cash for village purposes. We will have to discuss the use we can make of this cash at our september meeting.


The 16th of August was "Show Day". The day was a little overcast but warm and it turned out to be a very good summer day. Entries were the best for some years. Forty two members submitted two hundred and ninety three entries so that the hall looked excellent. Particularly attractive were the thirty five identical red geraniums grown by members from plugs supplied by the Association. They were mounted on staging at the far end of the hall and really held your eye. The show was opened by Judy Bartholomew. In her speech she told us of her expected move to Ross on Wye. We all hope she retains her ties with the Tintern VPA.

Cups were won by Wendy Boast for flowers, she was also runner up in the vegetable section, Brian Young for vegetables and Christine Bradshaw for cookery. Bernard Bradshaw won best entry in the flower and vegetable sections for his display of ornamental gourds and Linda Simmons similarly won for best entry in the cookery and handicraft sections with her beautiful quilt. We also presented a plaque to Lily Hayes of Lydney as the only child entry.

The day was a success, both in the quality of the exhibits and in the social atmosphere generated in the hall.

The following photographs taken on the day will probably take some time to load!! Please be patient.

Thirty five geraniums, given out as plugs to members early in the year made it back to the Annual Show to provide a very colourful backdrop.

In September we had a super slide show given by our two members, Mark Carr and Christine Evans, entitled "A Walk on the Wild Side". The show mostly gave us a view of a long trek into the Himalayas, fascinating and an eye-opener into what adventures a couple of locals can get into.

In October a small party of VPA members went to the Harvest Festival organised by the Llantilio Pertholy VPA. They stayed for a supper in the village hall. Our monthly meeting saw Mr David Cooksey give us a talk on "Owls of Gwent". The evening ended with the production of three owls for our members inspection. Lovely creatures.

Our November meeting saw Mr Andrew Nixon give a talk on the "Wye Valley AONB".

December brought us to the Annual Party, a really nice evening with food brought by the members. We had a simple competition to complete various phrases which brought quite a lot of discussion forth.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2004.